Ultimate camperization?

Mitsubishi Delica Camper vans, lift kits & other Delica Accessories!

Moderator: BCDelica

docsavage
Member's Photo Album: http://www.delica.ca/Photos/
Vehicle: Deliless...

Ultimate camperization?

Post by docsavage »

josh
Vehicle: L300 poptop gasser

Post by josh »

That is a sweet little settup... just wondering if a 6'4" guy like myself could lay down in there. Seems it would be a bit tight. But wow, I love the sink/stove setup. I guess if you threw one of those roof tent units on top it would be a Delica that dreams are made of... oh, and one of Bruce's lift kits.

Josh
Mystery Machine

Post by Mystery Machine »

Wouldn't fancy trying to cook anything if there was any wind or even a slight breeze! :shock:

A nice idea, but the kitchen area is a bit 'exsposed' if you ask me!

Have a look at these two sets of photos - a guy in the UK (Steve Hawksley) converted his L300 to a camper....looked SWEET until he decided to transfer it all to a better condition L300 and add a POP TOP! :D :D

Take time to look though what he has done....all by himself - not pre-bought kit...just good honest hard graft and some good craftsmanship 8) 8)

Camper #1: The interior

Camper #2: The Pop-Top conversion

I've been in the finished article and have to say....WHAT A SUPERB JOB! :D :D

I hope that gives you some inspiration?? :wink:

Regards,

Bruce.
L300 Mystery Machine (High Altitude Edition 8-) )
L300 MudMonkey ($400 bargain banger!! :!: )

surferboy

Post by surferboy »

anybody knows where to get an awning that fits those vans on the island? how much am i looking at!
Mystery Machine

Post by Mystery Machine »

Hi Surferboy,

Are you after a 'roll out' awning like I have on mine, or a 'drive away' awning like a tent type thing??

Roll Out awning:

If this is the sort you are after, you need to see if you can get hold of stuff from a company called Fiamma or Omnistor

THIS is the awning I have on mine....

.....THIS is the Omnistor version of it.

Price over here is around $400 for a 2.2m Fiamma to $600 for an Omnistor version (2.6m)

Fiamma just as good as the Omnistor, better for getting spare parts and neater looking in my opinion.

If you decide to go this route (roll out) then let me know and I can give you lots of advice about fitting. (I was the first in the UK to do this to a Deli and I've helped 80% of UK Deli owners fit theirs since.... :wink: )

Regards for now,

Bruce.

P.S. Sorry I haven't replied to your coolbox PM, I've not done anything like that - BUT WILL BE next Sat! :D :D (removing one that is!) so I can give you some advice on it then..... :wink:
L300 Mystery Machine (High Altitude Edition 8-) )
L300 MudMonkey ($400 bargain banger!! :!: )

surferboy

Post by surferboy »

:D thanks Bruce, yes i did think that you forgot about my PM but no biggy, can't wait to see what you figure out with that box, good luck! about the awning, thats exactly what i am after, the role out type..., i have to look into whats available here first, haven't had time to really look into it yet but will keep you posted of what i find, thanks for the advise! cheers and good luck with your trip planning to canada!
biozach

Post by biozach »

I was happy to discover that a queen-sized air mattress fits perfectly in a deli. Just enough room to sit up, as well, with the crystal roof height. Nice and comfy with no bumps, whatsoever.[/quote]
Thomas Porter

Awning

Post by Thomas Porter »

I went to the RV shop here in PA and found that they have an awning track that I can rivet to the side of the van - $4.00 per foot. It's a channel that you can slide a tarp into. I'm having a tarp sewn with rope in the edges to fit the track snuggly. This track that I'm getting is like a tube with the side cut out a bit. It's pretty cool. An affordable solution with little to no wind resistance on the road, no moving parts, etc. you can see the same thing on many tent trailers.
My new bumper is hollow and I have put the collapsible upright poles inside it for the awning. I'll send pix when it's set up.
Thomas
Population Density; One person per square kilometre. Just the way I like it...
surferboy

awnings..

Post by surferboy »

:D Hey Thomas, sounds like a cool alternative to the 1,000$+ retractable awnings that i have priced out here in Victoria, what a rip off for a bit of shade, screw that, i was going to tie up a tarp to my roof rack but your idea sounds great, would love to see detailed pictures of that contraption you found, i'll try to find something similar down here if i can find it.. can't wait to see the photos! Cheers.. Francois.
Leafster
Vehicle: L300 Deli

Awnings

Post by Leafster »

I have been calling around to some RV dealers and getting price quotes. We will be getting a roll-out because I think you just can't beat

1. Park
2. Roll out awning
3. Crack beer

Check out the Fiamma F35 Pro 220 or 250 $800-$900
and the A&E Catalina $557 local dealer. Both nice units

I may have a connection to get the Fiamma for a good deal if anyone else wants to buy in let me know.
Thomas Porter

Awing

Post by Thomas Porter »

If I bring enough beer, my buddies will put the awning up for me! Just say no to the $800-900 bit. Yeah, they're nice, but I have enough shit hanging of my Deli thanks. Too much drag and yet another thing to maintain. I should have my low-tech awning and track fabbed by next week. Have to build a spacer for the outside edge of my light bar so the ribbing is flush with my safari rack. Will keep you posted.
Estimated finished cost of my fab - $80.
Goes up in two minutes. I can manage that long before cracking my first wobbly pop - I can now buy $820 worth of beer, scotch, etc. with the money I am saving.
Thomas
surferboy

roll out awnings..

Post by surferboy »

:twisted: YEAAH Thomas, you and i think the same way, i did check out the fianna P35, and indead it is a nice little unit but still, 5,6,7,800$ for shade? F*cK that, i can buy a brand new surfboard for that, i can get the roof of the van re-painted for less than that, tint all windows for 300$, get new tires for the price of a freakin' piece of 6 feet shadow! at about 19$ an hour, i have to spend my money wisely, and Thomas, your 80$ system sounds more like what i would want to pay, think you can make it fit on my yakima roof rack? i have the one with the tall towers to clear the hi roof, Bruce said it would be easy to fabricate when he was over at my place.. let me know how your project goes, maybe you already have your first customer! :wink: fantastique, superbe!
Thomas Porter

Awing

Post by Thomas Porter »

Not really interested in customers per se - but if you want I can have a custom tarp made for you too. Two will probably be a better rate per unit than just the one I'm getting. I'll let you know how muchy$.
My source here is making a heavy duty 10' by 8' silver tarp with rolled rope edges and tent pole eyelets in the far side corners. It's the whole length of my Deli's roofline.
The top edge slides into the RV track and the poles hold the far end up with the help of a couple guy lines. My tent poles fit right inside my new bumper. I might have him make a carry bag for the tarp too. Something that is weatherprrof, flat and rugged so I can put it above my spare and squeeze it in.
I'll keep you posted though.
Post a picture of your Delica and I'll see what I can draft up. Pretty simple though for those with a roof rack already.
Thomas
P.S. A person can definately spend their money all sorts of ways. I jst wasn't going to spend that kind of cabbage on something that only gets used occasionally in the summer months.
surferboy

awnings

Post by surferboy »

:) thanks Thomas, i would like to see that track that the tarp rolls into post some pics if you can...
mitch

Post by mitch »

heres an idea I have.. Im going to do the same idea you have with the tarp, but have it mounted to my roof box then the poles will pull out from inside my roof rack bars about 4 feet.. sooooo i wont have any other poles going to the ground, side of van whatever to keep it up.

Im a fricking smart guy, I know. :lol:

Mitch

Return to “Delica Modifications”